Friday, January 29, 2016

Friday - Theis - the last clinic

IEOn the way to Theis  (pronounced Chez) - a couple fun stories from yesterday...

It is common practice for people to sell their wares on the side of the road (vegetables, fruit, cashews, sunglasses, etc...)  When there is a slow down in traffic due to congestion they come running right up to the vehicles and hold their bags to the window and plead with you to buy. If your window is down they will stick the bag inside the car and shake it in front of your face if they can.  Because I always sit in the front row next to the open window I've gotten very used to being tapped on my left shoulder and back and having bags of products shoved in my face, much to the delight of my fellow teammates.  In fact, they trick me all day long by coming up behind me and tapping me and then looking the other way - I always fall for it too! (Pastor Paul and Bob I'm calling you out!) :) 
Yesterday on the way home I encountered a particularly aggressive saleswoman who really wanted me to buy her green beans. I wish I could have!  They were beautiful! The whole van howled as I tried to tell her "No" in a kind way, but couldn't help admiring her produce as I yelled back "Hey! Nice beans!" as she was hitting me with the bag over and over again (I am from MN originally don'tchaknow  - "MN nice" is heavily ingrained ;)

KatB - RN, Phoenix, AZ

Wednesday I saw two of the oldest persons I have encountered at our medical clinics, two Muslim men in their 90's. This is in a country, Senegal, where life expectancy for men is 58 years. The first man was in surprisingly good condition. After a basic exam (ear, nose, throat, hesrt, lungs, andomen) he said it was the most thorough exam of his life. He also raised his arms in the air and exclaimed "Americans are good !"
The second man was less well. We provided exam, medications, and vitamins. Kat debrided and dressed a leg wound with her usual TLC. He was most appreciative and thereafter we began seeing his grandchildren. It turned out he was an Iman (holy man), who led other Imans. Arriving now at last site.                 
Jeff MD

7:35pm. We are heading home after a long and successful final day of clinic!  We cared for 175 patients today and almost 800 for the entire 5 days of clinic. One very memorable case for me was a woman I helped at the very end of the day. I am so glad she made it in the gate before it was closed to patients. She had walked 40km (24 miles) wearing broken shoes and a 2 year old on her back!  She started walking at 6am and arrived at 5pm! When I explained the story to the other patients waiting they all agreed to let her go first. I took her vital signs and the baby's. Bill measured her height and weight (& the baby's too) and she was brought in to see Dr. Strong. After seeing the doctor and getting her medication at the  pharmacy Pastor Paul graciously paid for her to get a taxi ride back home.  What was especially touching was that a young man named Jean who was translating for us offered to give her a ride if a taxi couldn't be found.  She cried tears of joy as I gave her a farewell hug. 

KatB, RN Phoenix, AZ

Today I saw a number of people with chronic disabilities who came from a nearby facility. It was sad to see a man with congenital clubfoot that had never been repaired. Adaptive equipment is rare and mobility doubly challenging with absent sidewalks and sand residential streets. Andre, an orthopedic nurse here, however, said hip and knee replacements are done in Dakar.
     Today we set up in a church. The pastor' s desk served as my exam table. There was a single dim fluorescent  light on the wall, so my head lamp got a work out. Paul M shared the room with me for awhile applying fluoride laquer to teeth. Tooth decay is rampant and the fluoride provides some level of protection for 6 months. I was impressed how Paul could get both kids and adults smiling and laughing without knowing a word of Wolof language! His sense of humor is definitely a gift.
     The team has been fantastic. It's hard to believe how fast the time has gone!

Jeff  MD

No comments:

Post a Comment