Friday, January 22, 2016

Friday

    Hello everyone. Today was our first day of clinic at the mission in Dakar. We served over 200 people (which is a record first day for the previous missions) I am a nurse from Columbus and this is my first time serving in a medical mission. I am both tired and exhilerated. We were able to help so many people. I am amazed at the dehydration, diabetes and hypertension that I see with the senegalese. But what stuck out to me the most was a young man, I never cought his name, who volunteered to help Donna Morley (interpreting French for me) to interpret Wolof into french for her. He sat there for hours helping us before being seen himself for a painful hernia.
     It is amazing the hospitality (teranga in Wolof) that we have been shown though the missionaries that live here. So much preparation to feed us and set up space to be able to help others in senegal.
     I am very tired and should probably help the others pack up medications so that we can get up early and do it all again tomorrow. Continue to pray for our energy to keep up and that we all stay healthy to help each other as well.

Thank you,
Nicole Smith RN (columbus,oh)

1 comment:

  1. Staying updated on your mission. Excited to follow along. So proud of your generous spirit. Sending lots of love your way!

    ReplyDelete